Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Grace-fully


It's amazing how our senses can trigger our minds to drum up thoughts that we've never even imagined.  Or maybe those thoughts have been there all along, right below the surface just waiting to come out and provide a perspective that has been needed for quite some time.  A couple of Saturdays ago we were playing around the house as a family and Audrey and I realized that we have reached a new season of life in which our two daughters, Ruby and June, can actually enjoy playing with one another.  We giggled as they rolled around on the floor together and "wrestled" in a way that only leads to laughter and not someone crying on the way to the hospital.  Then they both made their way to the door and just stood there looking out as if their little minds entered into a place of deep thought.  Audrey and I thought it would make for a cute photo so we snapped a quick picture and as we admired the photography, it happened.  My senses kicked in and triggered my mind to go to places that I wasn't sure that I was ready for. 

The fear of raising daughters came first.  There they were, two little innocent sweethearts (most of the time), playing within the confines of their own home.  Cute, cozy, playful, safe, confident, sweet and on and on and on of all things wonderful.  Then the very next moment their lives are flashing before my eyes as they grab ahold of the bars and turn towards the outside world (poor things have  bars and an iron gate to get through before they can get anywhere).  School, friends, hobbies, boyfriends, fiances, husbands, kids..........!!!!!!  But as I focused to try and get rid of the pit in my stomach, a perspective came and hit me upside the head.  It's not the world that put the fear of raising daughters in my heart that morning, it was the responsibility of sending them out well.  How do I keep my weakness and flaws from negatively influencing our daughters?  How do we channel all that they have been gifted with so that they may be used to leave a positive, lasting impact on those around them?

I am reading a book by Judah Smith, called Jesus Is ____, and there is a heavy focus on grace.  My heart has been satisfied so many different times as I read this book and I'm beginning to understand why.  See, I have received this Grace (a.k.a. Jesus) in my life and although it can be a difficult gift to accept, knowing that I haven't done anything to earn it, it is also the sweetest, most satisfying gift one can every receive.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, it is now my desire to extend that same form of grace to those around me because I can only begin to imagine how much Jesus loves them too. 

So after the fear of raising daughters subsided, joy and excitement took it's place.  I then realized that Audrey and I have the opportunity to raise daughters that will be the extenders of Grace to all they come in contact with.  We have a chance to teach them to love others well when the world may not.  We have been tasked to share with them the truth about who Jesus is and that He gave His life for us so that we may know how much He adores us.  Then we get to share with them that in response to this magnificent love, we get to let the world know that this love is available for them too.  We want to send them out grace-fully.  All of the sudden I saw the above picture as a sweet opportunity rather than a daunting task. 

Perspective didn't end there.  The following week, we had registration for our GO Sports Academies for the first semester of 2015.  We asked kids to come to the church to sign up and give our GO Sports Staff the chance to look them in their eyes and commit to be mentors and role models in their daily lives.  After 255 boys between the ages of 8-18 signed up to be a part of our academy, perspective struck again...we have the same opportunity to raise these boys up to be extenders of that same grace and truth!  255 BOYS!!!  All of the sudden raising two little girls seemed like a piece of cake.

Please pray for us as we have an incredible opportunity right under our nose.  Our GO Sports coaches need your prayers and so do the little hearts and minds of the kids we will be working with this year.  May we all experience the grace of Jesus Christ and then know what to do with this overwhelming gift.


1 comment:

Blair said...

So beautifully said, Will. Jesus is the best gift of grace one can receive and that perspective makes all the difference. Y'all are in our prayers!