Wednesday, February 06, 2013

He ruled the world with Truth and Grace
 
 This past year Audrey and I received blessing after blessing as we watched Ruby Ann change and grow into a beautiful little toddler.  We continue to learn so much from such a sweet, little child!  I've heard over and over that big, incredible gifts can come in small packages and we can bear witness to that through the gift of Ruby Ann in our lives. 
 
During this past Christmas season, I found myself celebrating the birth of Jesus differently than I ever had in the past.  I'm sure a lot of it had to do with having a child of our own now, but some of my new found feelings were sparked by a couple of books I read several weeks ago called The Grace and Truth Paradox by Randy Alcorn and Simply Jesus by N.T. Wright.  The idea of the Alcorn book is that Jesus walked this earth displaying a perfect balance of grace and truth.  The part of the Wright book that impacted me is the way he explained what Jesus was getting into when he road into Jerusalem on a donkey.  Rome was claiming that Caesar was divine and in charge, the Jews were living as though the law of Moses ruled the earth as they waited a messiah, and then God sends Jesus into Jerusalem on a donkey announcing that He is the son of YHWH and things are about to change!
 
So here's this little baby born to a virgin that many have come to celebrate and many are soon to hate.  He has now become a man and will change the world forever.  Amidst the political heat, the power struggles, the pride and confusion that was present when Jesus rode into Jerusalem, He still seemed to live and teach with an incredible balance of grace and truth.

I have come to realize (it took a while :) that we have the most incredible story and example in Jesus to share with the world.  How differently would people respond if we presented truth with grace?  How would people change if they received grace partnered with truth?  What if the world was still ruled with truth and grace?  God has placed it upon my heart to seek His guidance in practicing the grace and truth that Jesus lived out every day.  In 1 Corinthians 9:16, Paul says, "Woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel."  If I am not busy preaching the truth, with grace, then what am I busy doing?  We are asking that as move forward in ministry this year that you all please pray for us as we continue to learn the gospel, receive God's grace and share it with everyone we come in contact with. 
 
 
 (Ruby wanted to say  hello!)
   

No comments: